Current military personnel will need to provide documentation identifying the holder as an active member of the US Armed Forces (CAC or DD Form 2 ID cards in green, blue, or red, for instance). Veterans will need to provide a copy of their DD-214 or NGB 22.
Initial Firearms Curriculum must be at least 16* hours of in-person instruction and cover the minimum requirements listed below.
Firearm safety (Classroom)
- 4 basic firearm handling safety rules
- Home storage
- Vehicle storage
- Public Storage
Basic principles of marksmanship (Classroom/Range)
- Sight Alignment
- Sight Picture
- Trigger Control
Care, cleaning, loading, and unloading of a concealable firearm (Classroom)
- Gun identification: revolver, semi-automatic, misc.
- Ammunition identification and selection
- Safety and cleaning protocols
- Cleaning equipment
- Loading and unloading
All applicable State and Federal laws relating to the ownership, storage, carry, and transportation of a firearm (Classroom)
- The Act in its entirety,
- With emphasis on 430 ILCS 66/10(h) which includes instruction on the appropriate and lawful interaction with law enforcement while transporting or carrying a concealed firearm.
- With emphasis on 430 ILCS 66/65 which includes instruction on prohibited areas and the parking lot exception.
The FOID Act 430 ILCS 65/1 et. seq.
- Relevant portions of the ILCS including but not limited to
- 720 ILCS 5/7-1. Use of force in defense of a person**
- 720 ILCS 5/7-2. Use of force in defense of dwelling**
- 720 ILCS 5/7-3. Use of force in defense of other property**
- 720 ILCS 24/1 et. seq. Unlawful Use of Weapons**
** Must define dwelling, aggressor, forcible felony and unlawful use of weapons pursuant to the ILCS.
- Dry fire practice drills, handgun fundamentals
- Dry fire practice drills from concealment
- Live fire practice drills, handgun fundamentals
- Live fire qualification with a concealable firearm consisting of minimum of 30 rounds which must include 10 rounds from a distance of 5 yards; 10 rounds from a distance of 7 yards; and 10 rounds from a distance of 10 yards at a B-27 silhouette target approved by the Illinois State Police.
ABSOLUTELY NO AMMUNITION IN THE CLASSROOM AT ANYTIME !!